Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Mary Westcott (Agatha Christie) Novels- Book Reviews

I recently read two of of Mary Westcott (Agatha Christie's pseudonym) novels and I read another one in the past so today I bring you a short review of them. The books I read were Absent in the Spring, Giants Bread, and The Rose and the Yew Tree. 

First off, I was again reminded of Agatha Christie's incredible insight into human nature. She is somewhat like Jane Austen in that respect. They are all non-mystery novels so it is interesting to read one of her books not having to focus on the characters as possible murder suspects but instead as characters. I gave all of the books four stars on Goodreads but I really did enjoy them a lot. They are called romance novels generally I think but I didn't really think of them as such. As with Austen's novels, the romance was a plot factor but there was so much else revolving around in the story.

In Absent in the Spring it's about a wife who doesn't realize how her selfishness has controlled her husband and children throughout her life and through a series of circumstances gets a glimpse into what she has done. As another reviewer on Goodreads said, it makes you uncomfortable, causing you to think about your own actions and motives.

In Giants Bread, you are introduced to a young boy whose father is a philander and mother is a doting sentimentalist. Through the story he grows up and falls in love, makes friends and develops a strange love for music.

The Rose and the Yew Tree might be my favorite of the three perhaps because I just finished it. I felt Christie's insight into human nature very profoundly in this one. It follows a crippled middle aged man who watches people come in and out of his room, confiding in him as politics and small-village life play out.

I would recommend all of these to read. They're different then Agatha Christie's typical mystery novels but great in their deep insight into human nature. They'll make you think. :) I actually found that they all worked on my emotions, which takes a lot for a book to do. I felt sorry for many of the characters. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do. :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. Oooh Agatha christie, now there's an author I could get into. I haven't read these though, they sound great!

    Also, I tagged you in a post: http://chasedbymyimagination.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/the-book-blogger-test.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a lot of fun! I'm sure you'd enjoy her books. :)

      Delete
  2. I fell in love with this book from the first page and read it in three hours. It's a beautiful book and one I recommend. the prophet kahlil gibran book

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand that she wrote 6 books under the name of Mary Westcott. Are they available anywhere?

    ReplyDelete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...