Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Book Review- Old Yeller

For the What an Animal reading challenge, the Back to the Classics reading challenge, the Authors A-Z reading challenge, the Monthly Motif reading challenge, the Newberry reading challenge, the Mount TBR reading challenge and the Classics Club I read Fred Gibson's classic children's novel Old Yeller.
I grew up watching the classic Disney film of this book and I'm not sure how I missed reading it until now. The movie actually follows the book very closely, which was nice.
Synopsis from Goodreads: At first, Travis couldn't stand the sight of Old Yeller. The stray dog was ugly, and a thieving rascal, too. But he sure was clever, and a smart dog could be a big help on the wild Texas frontier, especially with Papa away on a long cattle drive up to Abilene. Strong and courageous, Old Yeller proved that he could protect Travis's family from any sort of danger. But can Travis do the same for Old Yeller?
I love a classic boy and dog story and they don't get much more classic than Old Yeller. I love how Travis matures through the story and becomes a man and part of that is due to Old Yeller. Travis has to be the "man" of the family while his father is gone and while he does the normal things expected of him such as hunting, ploughing and branding he also takes on the hardest task of all. I think though that all of Travis's experiences throughout the novel prepared him for that decision and strengthened him for it too. What is this decision I speak so mysteriously of? SPOILERS!!! I can't just tell you! Read the book yourself! ;) I have just got to say how much I love this book though. I think it may be the best boy and dog story written. :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. Have you read the sequel, Savage Sam? I like it very much too, and it has a happier ending. Though nothing beats Old Yeller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't! I'll be sure to check it out. A happier ending would be nice. :)

      Delete
  2. I *ahem* don't think I should ever read this book. Y'see, I've read the ending, but aside from that, I just Do Not Do that sort of plot element in stories. Nope. Just no. But I'm glad you enjoyed it!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a good book according to your review! :) I've never read Old Yeller, but saw the movie a long time ago, and I remember what happens in the end. :( Have you read The Yearling? It's a similar boy/animal/growing-up story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read the Yearling some years ago. I liked it as I recall. It was a different spin with a deer but a similar concept.

      Delete

I allow anyone to comment but be aware that I reserve the right to delete your comment if I find it inappropriate. Please do not make me have to exercise that right. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...